Friday, April 06, 2012

squam saved my life


It is not every day that an experience or a moment comes along and changes your life forever.  That type of magic does not swirl through our every day lives, but when it does happen to scoop us up we have to to stop and cherish it. We have to hold onto it, appreciate, and tend it.

In 2008 I had one of those moments.  I took an enormous risk and ventured off into the woods of New Hampshire with two women I never met before to attend Squam Arts Workshops.  It was one of the bravest things I have ever done and since I stepped into those magical woods my life has never been the same.

A whole new world opened it's doors to me, kindly invited me in, and made room for me on the couch.  I was blown away.  My shy quiet self began to dig my own roots into my soul and discover things about me that I never knew.  Attending squam saved my life and changed it in an epic way.

You may be on the fence about going squam.  I know the nerves, feeling scared, unsure of what the experience is going to be like.  The thought of it can be terrifying.  Before I went to squam I was afraid no one would sit with me at lunch, I wouldn't fit in, I would have no one to talk to, just to name a few.  But as soon as I stepped into the woods that fear was washed away with a hug from Elizabeth. I was meant to be there.



There may be moments where you will feel completely uncomfortable, but that goes hand in hand with growth.  Before you are able to dig your roots deep you have to navigate the terrain, work through the hard soil, water the ground, and nurture yourself.  It is in this discomfort and uncertainty that the growth is taking place.  It is always scary to be in a place you have never been before, but if you sit with that uncomfortable feeling for just a little bit you will begin to sprout and you will be so glad you stayed.  Beautiful things unfold, connections are made, and your life is never the same.

If you are unsure about going to squam hop on over to their blog, I share my squam experience.  Maybe it will help to calm some of those nerves that are lurking inside of you.  And if you have any questions or want to know more, feel free to email me.  I would be so happy to chat with you about squam.  I know thinking about going can be terrifying, but actually going can be liberating.

No comments: