Friday, December 07, 2007

True self



Sometime people put on an enormous facade,
they are great actors.

They seem strong and sure of themselves.
They stand in the center and make others cower around them.

Yet, inside they are searching for strength,
Trying to stay afloat, and putting others down along the way.

It surprises me when they give a glimpse of their true self.
Scared, timid, unsure of themselves and the world around them.

I always try to reach out to them,
and sometimes they let down their guard,
other times it is simply a battle, never won.

I know it hard to let your true colors fly,
and to really stand by who are...
but at the end of the day I know people love me for me,
and I hope you realize they love you for you as well.

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Indeed. I've reached an age where it's really sinking in that the key is to draw inward rather than reach outward. When we're looking for others' approval, we're most often not being true to ourselves. But if we can focus that energy on our inner lives and staying true to ourselves, then we magically draw to us those people who best suit us. At least it seems to be working that way for me. :)

Kelly said...

So true, Jennifer. Often the person who bullies or boasts is the least secure person in the crowd. I try to remind myself to have compassion for that person.