Thursday, September 07, 2006

Knowing the past



I am back in school and the first two professors I have had so far asked the same question. They asked us to name our great grandparents. I found it very interesting that both professors asked this and that only a few number of people in the class could answer. I was one of the many who could not. They are our flesh and blood, the reason we are here, and yet they are forgotten. I have some memories of one of my great grandmothers, yet I cannot recall her name. How terribly sad.

Why is it that we do not research our family history more? Why do we not explore further why we are here and who the people are that lead to our creation. Why do we just keep pressing on never looking that far back?

Life is brimming with so many things. So many incomprehensible things. So much information. There is just so much out there. I am not sure as humans we are able to take it all in and make sense of everything. We must pick and choose what we feel is important. Possibly our fear of dying and non existence doesn't want to take us to the past. We want to keep pressing on so that we are taken further ahead instead of further behind.

However maybe the key to who we are lies within those people. Maybe they hold a piece of the puzzle. They are part of the line of how I got here, isn't that important enough. Possible I need to explore these people further, take the time to get to know them, and maybe then I will learn a lot more about me. Not only through them but through the people who will share the stories of them. It may be time to explore my family tree.



They key to the future is hidden in the past.

No comments: